It will take a coherent strategy combining conservation action, industry and political support, business involvement, funding and public support to prevent the extinction of Māui dolphin.
What is the Endangered Species Foundation doing?
We are supporting the Māui dolphin by:
1. Working with conservation groups, government agencies and industry, and presenting an un-biased view of Māui dolphin conservation activity.
2. Having an observer on the Research Advisory Group which is involved in
evaluating Māui dolphin research.
3. Raising funds to support activities that help the fishing industry transition to
Māui dolphin-safe fishing. Currently, $13,500 is needed to complete research on the
economic costs and benefits of the fishing industry transitioning to other fishing
methods. A further $150,000 per annum is needed to provide expert input into
transitioning the fishing industry into Māui dolphin safe fishing methods.
4. Looking to support other, smaller, projects with a public involvement outcome.
5. We also offer to bring together a consultative group with a role of evaluating achievements, assessing future options and negotiating progress.
How can you get involved?
We are fundraising to help support the highest-priority conservation efforts for the critically endangered Maui dolphin. You or your business can help get behind saving our endemic dolphins by offering financial support, becoming an Ambassador to help raise funds, and helping to raise awareness around their plight.